Arquay Harris / arquay (at) phlavor (dot) com
Web Development Manager. Google, Inc. Mountain View, CA.
- Managed a team of 20 Webmasters consisting of Information Architects, Developers, Designers and Program Managers.
- Oversaw site development for the Social, Mobile, Ads, and Google.org product areas.
- Supported a group of 500 PMMs and their respective Marketing projects.
- To improve quality and employee work/life balance, reduced active projects by 88% in Ads (the largest Product Area), 63% overall.
- Initiated and implemented a tool that improved efficiency by streamlining team workflows.
- Developed team-wide standardization by creating a toolkit of reusable templates (Functional Specification Document, Wireframe, Sitemap, etc.), in order to unify the form and function of our team tools.
Senior Webmaster. Google, Inc. Mountain View, CA.
- Was the Lead for both the Ads and Social product areas
- Worked as the sole Lead Developer, UI Designer and Information Architect on multiple projects
- Translated prototypes into working production ready code utilizing internal technologies
- Wrote Python scripts to parse complex data sets
- Initiated and implemented a project that consolidated the various Google+ marketing sites into a singular cohesive user experience
- Developed responsive experiences for optimal user satisfaction
- Facilitated User Experience Research and Testing
Director of Engineering. CBS Interactive (formerly CNET Networks, Inc.). San Francisco, CA.
- Directed launch of two new brands: CBS Moneywatch.com and SmartPlanet.com
- Coordinated with international teams as part of a global/local initiative
- Served as lead architect for in-house CMS featuring fully flexible JSON data schema
- Developed guidelines and architecture for new Symfony-based, API driven platform
- Designed Smarty template structure that served as the front-end for a Symfony back-end
- Managed a team that included both engineers and web developers
- Organized the prompt execution of several sets of deliverables running on parallel tracks
- Utilized Agile planning methodologies for multiple project iterations
Manager Web Development. CBS Interactive (formerly CNET Networks, Inc.). San Francisco, CA.
- Oversaw technical teams for the brands: ZDNet.com, BNET.com, and TechRepublic.com
- Managed production team responsible for all front-end development for the entire business unit
- Improved SEO by implementing accessible, keyword rich, semantic markup
- Successfully reduced the active bug queue by more than 75%
- Instituted transparency that enabled knowledge share among team members
- Consistently liaised with multiple groups across many different departments
- Balanced a demanding work queue by utilizing extensive documentation and organization
Senior Technical Producer. CBS Interactive (formerly CNET Networks, Inc.). San Francisco, CA.
- Architected and implemented large scale redesigns employing CSS, XHTML, PHP, JSTL and AJAX
- Used LAMP stack to program site features and widgets
- Served as Lead Developer of large scale sites utilizing the Maverick MVC and Apache Velocity
- Drove the growth and success of the PHP-based WordPress blogging platform
- Designed and coded a Flash video player that featured an externally loaded XML playlist
Technical Producer. CBS Interactive (formerly CNET Networks, Inc.). San Francisco, CA.
- Served as team lead for the presentation and logic layers of the PHP-based WordPress blogging platform
- Wrote custom PHP functions in order to extend the blog tier
- Worked with the product VP to develop and implement verticals under very strict deadlines
Flash Developer/Webmaster. Runaway Films. San Francisco, CA.
- Worked as sole developer on the website for the documentary film "Double Dare"
- Integrated Flash animation and extensive ActionScript into the site
- Updated the site by modifying pre-existing Flash files
- Spliced and edited audio files for inclusion on the site
- Diagnosed server problems and host issues in my capacity as webmaster
Web Designer/Developer. Intransa, Inc. San Jose, CA.
- Designed and constructed the corporate site
- Created the look and functionality of the company's intranet using HTML and server-side includes
- Adhered to strict constraints and specific requirements from upper management
Webmaster/HTML Developer. Waveworks Digital Media. Arlington, VA.
- Developed the multimedia department and was therefore required to self-manage and show personal initiative
- Redesigned the Waveworks corporate site
Creator. Bottom 3. San Francisco, CA. (bottom3.com)
- Created an interactive pick ‘em game using AngularJS, jQuery and Parse
- Integrated Facebook login
- Wrote Parse Cloud Code to send registration emails via the Mailgun module
- Designed website and brand identity
- Competencies: Web Development, Information Architecture, UX/UI Design, User Research, SEO implementation, Android/iOS development
- Design: Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, InDesign
- Development: vi, UNIX/Linux, Git/CVS/SVN/Perforce, IntelliJ IDEA/PyCharm
- MFA, Cum Laude
- Academy of Art College. San Francisco, CA
- Major: Computer Arts/New Media
- Graduated with honors completing a thesis that consisted of a fully featured web site that utilized CSS, HTML, PHP, and SQL
- James Madison University. Harrisonburg, VA
- Major: Media Arts and Design
- Minor: Sociology
- Graduated from one of the first programs in the country that focused exclusively on new media and web technology
- 2013 (won) Global Marketing Platinum Award for Think Insights. Google, Inc.
- 2008 (nomination) Chairman's Club. CNET Networks, Inc.
- 2003 (nomination) Best Interactive Project. Academy of Art University Spring Show
- 2002 Academy of Art University Spring Show